Coursework Information Sheet
To be supplied to students when they receive the coursework assignment task
Unit Co-ordinator: Rodolphe Ocler
Unit Name: Strategic Management
Unit Code: SHR602-6 Sem 2A
Title of Coursework: Assignment 1: Written Report
40% weighting of final unit grade
The university policy is that you will receive prompt feedback on your work within 15 working days of the submission date. Exceptionally where this is not achievable (for example due to staff sickness) you will be notified as soon as possible of the revised date and the reasons behind the change.
Submission Date: 24th May 2015
Feedback Date: 14th June 2015
Details of how to access the feedback: Turnitin
1 Choose an organisation for which there is a large amount of information available about both the industry and the firm. Small private companies can be used but are not usually a good idea. You may not choose companies which feature in the large case studies in the Johnson & Scholes and Grant textbooks, or companies used for in-class teaching. Please confirm your choice of company with your tutor before proceeding.
Collecting information can be done in groups
2 Group preparation. - This task is your research and is not graded. However without the research you will not be able to successfully complete the individual task. Based on the information collected, you will be asked to construct strategic tools that will lead to the analysis performed in your individual report
3. The Individual Report (1600 words). This submission only will be graded.
• Provide an analysis of the business environment of the firm. You should consider the main competitors and their competitive position; market details (value; share etc.); current trends in the market; future trends in the market (attractiveness of the industry).
• Provide an internal analysis of the firm giving details of its current strategic position and tactics. You should also consider the resources and capabilities of the firm and how they impact upon the success or otherwise of the firm.( distinctiveness of the firm).
The submission will be in the form of a consultant’s report. The exact presentation style will be at your discretion, but should be a professional, business like report. It should also use Harvard referencing.
The assignment should be 1600 words in length, (+/- 10%) and is worth 40% of your grade. The word count does not include appendices, references, bibliography, or other supporting material which are additional and do not contribute to your grade. Include only those things which you would include in a professional business report or which are essential background for markers if you are writing about a less well-known business.
Core Learning Outcomes
On completion of this unit you should be able to: Assessment Criteria
To achieve the learning outcome you must demonstrate the ability to:
1 Recognise and understand the nature and characteristics of strategic issues and problems
• Differentiate between issues and problems of a strategic nature and those of an operational or functional nature.
• Exercise research-based judgment in scoping the extent and content of the strategic challenges
2 Recognise the issues impacting upon strategic decisions at the corporate, business unit and functional levels of organisations
• Analyse the level at which strategic issues manifest themselves and recognise the form of solution or initiative required.
• Demonstrate the appropriate problem-definition skills in the development of such strategic responses
3 Deploy the analytical tools of strategic management in relation to both the external and internal environments of organisations
Select and apply relevant techniques and methods of analysis required in strategic problem situations.
• 40% Weighting towards unit grade
• Please submit your assignment to Turnitin in the assessments section of the Breo unit site by the stated deadline. You are allowed a single submission only so make sure you are happy with your work and that you submit the correct document.
• Feedback will be provided through Turnitin within 15 working days.
You will need to present your analysis and recommendations in a professional individual report of no more than 1600 words.
Section / Title Details / Guidance
Title page Title of your report. Address (to/from) and date the report.
Executive Summary 150 word maximum summary of your report,
Contents Page Include page numbers.
Introduction Short (approximately 250 words) introduction to the report setting out what the aims and objectives of the report are, what the report will cover and why.
Analysis of the industry Using third party sources (e.g. academic literature) and secondary data to analyse the concepts underpinning industrial analysis. You should make reference to any relevant models, and frameworks and include critical viewpoints to assess the attractiveness of the industry (Approximately 500 words)
Internal analysis of the firm Using third party sources (e.g. academic literature) and secondary data to analyse the concepts underpinning internal strategic analysis. You should make reference to any relevant models, and frameworks and include critical viewpoints to assess the distinctiveness of the firm(Approximately 500 words)
Conclusions This section should initially answer the report aim and objectives and draw together the main points from your analysis of literature. It summarises what has been learned from undertaking this research it should clearly summarise the findings derived from the external and internal analysis provided in the report (approximately 200 words)
Reference List A list of all sources cited directly in the text. Harvard style
Bibliography List The sources you consulted but which you do not cite.