Course/Programme: BA (Hons) Business Studies with Foundation
Foundation Year 0 (Level 0)
Year 2 Level 4
Year 3 Level 5
Year 4 Level 6 Foundation Year 0 (Level 0)
Module Title: Introduction to Information Technology
Module Leader: Chandranna Rayadurg
Assignment title: Introduction to Information Technology
Assignment number: 1
Weighting: 100% of overall module grade
Date given out: August 2022
Submission date: 1st November 2022
For late submission, please check CCCU Taught regulation (page 28 on late submission) and Extenuating Policy: CCCU Taught regulation
CCCU Extenuating Circumstances Policy
Method of submission: x Online only Online and paper copy
Special instructions for submission (if any):
Date for results and feedback
(please note the final grade is subject to the main CCCU assessment Board)
Learning outcomes assessed: LO1-Understand and use frequently used Computing terminologies
LO2-Understand ethical and social issues associated with Technology
LO3-Appreciate the growth in ICT and use of the Internet and its effects on business
LO4-Understand the role of Information Technology in Management
The penalty to be applied to late course work, which will include course work where the work is graded on a pass/fail basis and it is possible to give a numerical mark, will be 5 per cent (of the eligible marks) per day, for up to seven days, after which a mark of 0 will be recorded.
Information technology (IT) is an integral part of many businesses. IT plays a vital role in every business including small, medium, and large (multinational). Network (intranet and internet) and email play a key role in the organisational communication internally as well as externally. However, IT can also have significant challenges on businesses, such as ransomware attacks, which have shut down large sectors of the American economy, with hackers taking advantage of weak security measures for an easy payday.
Select an organisation in the retail sector, for example supermarkets and conduct research on the organisation, together with an analysis of relevant academic books and journals:
• Discuss different types of software. Which type of software is more important? Can software exist independent of Hardware?
• Ethical and social issues are increasingly becoming important in the digital world. Identify and discuss the importance of them to run businesses,
• Information and Communication Technology (ICT) makes a business more efficient and effective in responding to customer needs. Discuss the impact of Internet and Intranet on businesses.
• Discuss the role of IT in helping managers to manage businesses.
Support your analysis with a discussion of the potential benefits and drawbacks of your chosen company investing in Information Technology.
Ensure that the report has the following structure and contains the details outlined:
• Title Page
• Table of contents
• Literature review
• Analysis and discussion
• Reference List
Formatting and Report
Please note the following when completing your written assignment:
1. Writing: Written in English in an appropriate business/academic style
2. Focus: Focus only on the tasks set in the assignment.
3. Document format: Report
4. Ensure a clear title, course, and name or ID number is on a cover sheet and a reference using Harvard referencing throughout is also provided.
5. Research: Research should use reliable and relevant sources of information e.g., academic books and journals that have been peer reviewed. The research should be extensive.
The use of a range of information sources is expected – academic books, peer reviewed journal articles, professional articles, press releases and newspaper articles, reliable statistics, company annual reports and other company information. All referencing should be in Harvard style.
Please refer to CCCU General Assessment Grading Criteria and rubric
• Level 4
• Level 5
• Level 6